About La Plata UMC
In the Beginning:
Methodist churches have been serving Charles County, Maryland since 1877 when a parsonage for the Methodist preacher was built in La Plata on Kent Avenue. Serving an ever changing list of parishes in Southern Maryland, the pastor rode his horse all over the county. Three of these churches: Bethel, Dentsville, and McFerrin Chapel came together after World War II to build a social hall and Sunday school to serve the three congregations. It was erected in 1947. Soon this center of activity and fellowship became the site of weekly worship as well, and members of the three churches came together to form United Methodist Church. The sanctuary was built in 1957 and the basement was enlarged and a second story erected in 1965.
In 1968, the Methodist denomination merged with the Evangelical United Brethren to from The United Methodist Church. This rendered a bit of a dilemma for our church for then they were officially called "United United Methodist Church." It soon was called the United Methodist Church of La Plata, then eventually it just became La Plata United Methodist Church.
On April 28, 2002, an F-4 tornado struck La Plata and our church directly, causing tremendous damage. After the church and education wing were restored, the new larger entry was added in 2005. La Plata UMC continues to serve the community, to be a resource for community groups, and to serve the needs of the poor of our area. We are growing in ministries, activities and in number. All by the grace of God.
Planning for the Future:
As we continue to expand our service to the community through ministries, the Blessed Lambs Preschool and sharing our building with community groups; the need for additional space is becoming more apparent. We have formed a Building Committee which is working with an architect and studying the best ways in which to expand our physical space to meet ours and the community's needs. A plan for new Bell Tower and Entry Cover for the education wing is already in place but as other needs are becoming more pressing, we have incorporated the Bell Tower in our plans for expanding our facilities. We will be doubling our classroom and meeting room spaces, and adding a new fellowship hall and kitchen. Come be a part of this exciting time in the life of our church. To see the latest updates on our building expansion click here: Building Expansion